Baseball POP Glossary
- Pitch Combos: 1-2 sequences of pitches defined by any difference in pitch type, X-Zone location change, or Z-Zone location change from the first to the second pitch. Example
Four-Seam Fastball followed by a Curve Ball that is 1 Zone higher in the Strike Zone and 2 Zone More Inside to the Hitter
- Pitch Combo Repertoire wOBA Added: Weighted average wOBA Added across all
oberseved1-2 Pitch Combos for a pitcher. Pitch Combos are weighted based on their usage rate relative to all other Pitcher Pitch Combos.
- Pitch Combo Usage Rate: The % a single Pitch Combo is used relative to all other Pitch Combos.
- Strike Zone X-Axis: Position of the pitch across the plate relative to the hitter.
Zone 0is the inside edge of the strike zone,
Zone 3is the outside edge. This normalizes pitch locations for left- and right-handed hitters.
- Strike Zone Z-Axis: Position of the pitch above the plate relative to the hitter.
Zone 0is the bottom edge of the strike zone,
Zone 3is the top edge. This normalizes pitch locations for hitter height and relative top/bottom of their individual strike zones.
- Whiff: Swing-and-miss by a hitter
- wOBA Added: The change in expected wOBA outcome for the at-bat from pitch-to-pitch. This is a proxy for the relative value added by each individual pitch and how it changes the chances of success for the pitcher and hitter.